These fudgy delicious macaroons get rave reviews from so many people when I make them!
They actually have no flour in them!
Be careful with the bake time, there is a wide variance in the time. Macaroons are a delicate cookie and they don’t harden much while in the oven but they harden more after they come out of the oven. Every oven is different, so start with the lower time and keep checking the bottoms for a light brown color. Take them out even if they are soft to the touch. They will firm up as they cool.
- 5 ⅓ cups coconut (14 ounce bag)
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- ⅔ cup baking cocoa
- ¼ cup butter melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 21 maraschino cherries drained, dried and cut in half
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Grease or spray cookie sheets or line them with parchment paper.
- With a mixer at medium speed, combine all ingredients except the maraschino cherries.
- Drop by rounded tablespoons one inch apart on the cookie sheets.
- Press one half maraschino cherry into the center of each cookie.
- Bake for 11-25 minutes. Start at 11 minutes and keep checking the bottom of the cookie for a light brown color.
- Immediately remove the cookies from the cookie sheet and transfer them onto a wire rack to cool.
- Store the cookies in a covered tin at room temperature.