“A very delicious, buttery date ball cookie with lots of dates and walnuts. It is so easy to make on top of the stove! This vintage recipe goes back decades and it is fantastic! I got it from my mother who got it from my Aunt Mary C. who was famous for making them every Christmas. Our family loves these a lot! For variation, you can tint the coconut or you can add a little rum or bourbon to the mixture (for adults!) I like to use the whole pitted dates and chop them roughly myself rather than buy the dates already chopped. I like tasting the larger pieces of dates. But either way, these are a real treat! Enjoy!”
|8 ounces pitted dates, chopped|
|1/2 pound butter ( 2 sticks )|
|2/3 cup sugar|
|1 egg, beaten|
|dash of salt|
|1 teaspoon vanilla extract|
|3 (scant) cups Rice Krispies cereal|
|3/4 cup walnuts, chopped|
|1 cup flaked coconut|
1. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, mix the dates, sugar, butter, beaten egg, salt, and vanilla extract together and cook and stir constantly for a few minutes until it is syrupy and well mixed.
2. Remove from the heat and stir in the Rice Krispies cereal and the walnuts.
3. Transfer the mixture to a container and refrigerate the mixture for about an hour. You can leave the mixture in the refrigerator for a few days and make the balls later.
4. Use a tablespoon of the mixture to roll into firm balls, then roll the balls in the coconut.
Buttery Date Balls~No Bake
Servings Per Recipe: 36
Amount Per Serving: 1
Calories from Fat: 70
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 8g 12%
Saturated Fat 5g 24%
Cholesterol 17mg 6%
Sodium 51mg 2%
Total Carbohydrates 11g 4%
Dietary Fiber 1g 4%
Protein 1g 1%
Vitamin A 4%
Vitamin C 0%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Hi Diane! VERY easy! You can roll them right away; I’ve done it. But they are easier and much less messy to roll if you chill them a bit before rolling.
This sounds like something I can make for our RV group. Sounds easy enough to do at the campground. Thanks!