NO-BAKE, buttery date ball cookies are SO delicious! There are lots of dates and walnuts in them and Rice Krispies in a butter mixture that hold it together.
They are so easy to make right on top of the stove!
This vintage recipe goes back decades and it is fantastic recipe! I got it from my mother who got it from my Aunt Mary C. who was famous for making them! She was a great cook and baker! When I popped in to see her, she always had some yummy treat to give me and at Christmastime she definitely had some of these!
My family loves them! They are always on my Christmas baking list!
For variation, you can tint the coconut or you can add a little rum or bourbon to the mixture (for adults only because these are not baked!)
I like to use the whole pitted dates and chop them roughly myself rather than buy the dates already chopped. I like tasting the larger pieces of dates. But either way, these are a real treat!
Date Balls~NO BAKE
- 8 ounces pitted dates chopped
- ½ pound butter
- ⅔ cups sugar
- 1 egg beaten
- salt dash
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups Rice Krispies cereal scant
- ¾ cup walnuts chopped
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, mix the dates, sugar, butter, beaten egg, salt, and vanilla extract together until syrupy and well mixed.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the Rice Krispies cereal and the walnuts.
- Transfer the mixture to a container and refrigerate the mixture for about an hour. You also can leave the mixture in the refrigerator for a few days and make the balls later.
- Use a tablespoon of the mixture to roll into firm balls, then roll the balls in the coconut.
- Store the date balls covered at room temperature on top of the counter.
I posted this in March, 2018 and updated it to a new format in June, 2023.