“Whoopie pies have made a comeback in recent years, but I grew up eating and making these, calling them devil dogs just like the ones you can buy. Today there are all sorts of flavors and fillings for whoopie pies.
These chocolate ones are even better made from scratch and with the buttermilk and coffee in the cake batter. They are so tasty! You don’t taste the coffee at all; it just enhances the chocolate.
The recipe might look too hard with so many steps, but it is really not difficult at all.
Whoopie pies are not only for children! I see many adults reaching for these! Enjoy!”
Servings: 12 Oven Time: 9-10 minutes
3/4 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup warm strong coffee or water
1-3/4 cups flour
3/4 cup baking cocoa
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup shortening
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Cover baking sheets with parchment paper.
3. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until fluffy.
4. Add the egg and vanilla and beat well.
5. In a small bowl, mix together the buttermilk and coffee. Set aside.
6. In another large bowl, mix together flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
7. Add the flour mixture and buttermilk mixture alternately to the dry mixture; blend well.
8. Using an ice cream scoop, drop twelve mounds of batter onto the prepared baking sheets.
9. Wet your fingertips and smooth the tops of the mounds of cake batter a little bit.
10. Bake at 350° for 9 – 10 minutes.
11. Remove immediately and cool on wire rack.
12. Meanwhile, make the filling by beating all the five ingredients together for the vanilla filling until it is smooth.
13. When cakes are cooled, place spoonfuls of the vanilla filling onto the flat side of six cakes, distributing the filling evenly. Spread almost to the edges of the cake.
14. Place remaining cakes on top of the filling with the flat side down and push down a little to spread the filling to the very edges.
15. Store whoopie pies covered in a tin or dish on top of the counter.
Nutritional Information: Chocolate Whoopie Pie
Servings Per Recipe: 12
Amount Per Serving: 1
Calories from Fat: 178
* % Daily Value *
* Total Fat 20g 30%
* Saturated Fat 12g 59%
* Cholesterol 52mg 17%
* Sodium 250mg 10%
* Total Carbohydrates 48g 16%
* Dietary Fiber 1g 4%
* Protein 3g 6%
* Sugars 32g
* Vitamin A 11%
* Vitamin C 0%
* Calcium 1%
* Iron 8%
* * Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.