An oldie but goodie sugar cookie recipe from my Aunt Gloria who was a cook by profession and an amazing baker! No other sugar cookie recipe comes close this one! Depending on your cookie size, you could get 3-5 dozen, even more. I make them for every occasion, birthdays, all holidays, showers, any excuse to make them. My cookie cutter box is huge! They are my most requested cookie! Enjoy!INGREDIENTS
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks)
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease or spray cookie sheets.
- With an electric mixer, in a large bowl cream the butter and sugar until well blended.
- Add eggs and vanilla extract, beat well.
- On low speed, add the flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix until a dough forms.
- Chill the dough 1 hour. ( I often skip this step and just add a little more flour to the board.)
- With a floured rolling pin, roll the dough out as thin or thick as you want.
- Cut into shapes with a cookie cutter. Or cut shapes by hand.
- Carefully place cookies onto the prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until cookies are a very light golden brown on the bottom.
- Cool cookies on a wire rack.
- Store cookies in a tin on the counter.