“A very easy way to make sausage and peppers! The tomato paste makes its own sauce with the steamed peppers in the oven. You can use more peppers and really mound up the dish because the peppers steam down.
I really like using ground sausage instead of links. Or I buy the links and remove the casing. You get more little pieces of sausage dispersed throughout the dish this way. But some people prefer the whole sausage links. You can do it either way. Sometimes I add some sliced onions. You can freeze leftovers for another time.
My sister Pat taught me this great technique of using just tomato paste, which I never see in recipes. It is so-oo delicious!! And so easy! Enjoy!”
9 – 12 bell peppers, any color
1 pound Italian sweet or hot sausage, or ground sweet or hot sausage
6 ounces plain tomato paste
1/2 cup tomato sauce
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 350º.
2. Slice the peppers. Place in a 9×11-inch casserole pan. The peppers will be a high mound but they will cook way down.
3. Remove the casing from the sausage. Crumble the sausage over the peppers and stir to mix the sausage in between the peppers.
4. Place dollops of tomato paste over the top.
5. Cover the pan loosely with aluminum foil and bake for 1 hour.
6. Lift the foil, add the tomato sauce, brown sugar, salt and pepper. Stir to mix well. Replace the aluminum foil loosely and bake for another 15 minutes or until peppers are tender.
Sausage and Peppers – VERY EASY!
Servings Per Recipe: 6
Amount Per Serving: about 1-1/2 cups
Calories from Fat: 153
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 17g 26%
Saturated Fat 6g 30%
Cholesterol 43mg 14%
Sodium 1126mg 47%
Total Carbohydrates 18g 6%
Dietary Fiber 4g 16%
Protein 2g 4%
Vitamin A 9%
Vitamin C 13%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.