For Sweet Potato Latkes, just follow my recipe for Basic Latkes at
but substitute 1 large sweet potato for the 3 large potatoes.
Here is the recipe for Sweet Potato Latkes with the sweet potato already substituted:
1 large sweet potato, peeled
1 large onion
1 small celery stalk, with fronds
5 sprigs fresh parsley
1 egg, beaten
¼ cup flour
¾ teaspoon minced garlic
¼ teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
¼ cup oil
1. In a food processor with a grate attachment, grate the potatoes, onion, celery, and parsley all together. Or you can use the large hole side of a hand grater.
2. Transfer the mixture to a sieve and squeeze out the juice as much as possible.
3. Put the mixture into a medium bowl. Add the egg, flour, minced garlic, salt and pepper. Stir until well-mixed.
4. Cover the bottom of a medium-sized skillet with the oil, heating it to a medium high heat.
5. Place about one-quarter cup of the mixture in your hand to make a ball.
6. Flatten the ball with your hands a little and carefully place it into the hot oil. With a spatula, flatten it out some more as much as possible.
7. Fry the latkes about 4 or 5 minutes on each side or until crispy and medium brown in color.
8. Place the latkes on a paper towel-lined plate to absorb any excess oil. Press a paper towel on top of the latkes to absorb any oil on the top side. Serve warm.