“New York Crumb Cake is known for having more crumbs than cake! This is our family staple with crumbs like you’ve never tasted before….thanks to my mother-in-law, Ruth, who was famous for this crumb cake! The crumbs are not overly sweet and there’s a lot of them piled high!
You can use the crumb recipe on top of anything else…. muffins, cupcakes, breads, or fruit pies. To top a fruit pie, just cover the crumbs loosely with aluminum foil while baking to prevent them from overbrowning. Cake flour makes this cake texture softer, like a French Crumb Cake. You can use all-purpose flour instead of cake flour in the cake batter, just change the amount to 2 cups of all-purpose flour. It is delicious either way!
If you are in a hurry, you can skip the homemade cake batter and use any box cake mix you like! It will be great! To prevent the crumbs from sinking to the bottom of the cake, follow my directions by adding them about half-way through the baking. Enjoy!”
1 cup butter
2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon
1 ½ teaspoons vanilla
½ cup butter
2 cups plus 4 tablespoons cake flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 ½ cups sugar
1 cup minus 2 tablespoons milk
½ cup confectioner’s sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 350°.
2. CRUMBS: In a small bowl, mix the flour, sugar, and cinnamon. Set aside.
3. In a medium saucepan over medium high heat, melt the butter. Remove from the heat.
4. Add the dry ingredients mixture to the melted butter.
5. With a heavy spoon stir just until moistened. Set aside.
6. CAKE: In a large bowl of an electric mixer, cream the butter on medium speed.
7. Add the cake flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar, mixing it well.
8. Add the milk and beat just until smooth.
9. Add the eggs and beat for one more minute.
10. Pour the batter into an ungreased 13x9x2″ pan.
11. Bake for 15 minutes.
12. Remove the pan from the oven and gently sprinkle the crumbs on top of the cake batter.
13. Bake for 10-15 minutes more or until a cake tester inserted in the middle comes out clean.
14. Remove the cake pan to a wire rack and let it cool completely.
15. DUSTING: Use a sieve to dust the top of the crumbs with confectioner’s sugar.
16. Store the cake covered on top of the counter.
New York Crumb Cake
Servings Per Recipe: 16
Amount Per Serving: 1
Calories from Fat: 158
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 17g 27%
Saturated Fat 12g 62%
Cholesterol 65mg 22%
Sodium 393mg 16%
Total Carbohydrates 58g 19%
Dietary Fiber 0g 0%
Protein 4g 7%
Vitamin A 13%
Vitamin C 0%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.