“Low calorie (126) and WW Smart Points (6) ! Everyone must have a recipe for these famous lemon squares, right!? Betty Crocker was the first to print a recipe for them in 1963. My recipe is similar to ones that are low calorie and WW and I have been using this recipe for years! You can find many recipe variations, but this is how I have always made them. These lemon squares appear at many of our family gatherings. If they are missing, someone always wants them. Sweet and tart, they are delicious!
Maybe you use the box mix or buy them in a store or bakery. If you have never made them homemade, you should give these a try! They are easy to make and taste so much better! No guilt either!
I prefer to use real lemons for the juice and zest, but lemon juice in the jar is perfectly good too. Enjoy!”
2 cups flour
1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
1 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/3 cup lemon juice
1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
1/4 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/3 cup confectioners’ sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350º.
2. Butter or spray a 13x9x2-inch pan. Set aside.
3. CRUST: In your mixer bowl or processor mix the flour and confectioner’s sugar together.
4. Add the butter and beat until the mixture forms a dough.
5. Press the dough down into the prepared pan to form a crust.
6. Bake for 15 – 20 minutes or until the edges are just lightly browned.
7. Remove to a wire rack.
8. FILLING: In a small bowl mix the flour and baking powder together. Set aside.
9. In a medium bowl beat the eggs, sugar, lemon juice and lemon zest together.
10. Add the dry ingredients into the egg mixture and blend well.
11. Pour the filling mixture over the baked bottom crust.
12. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the top is just set.
13. Cool on a wire rack.
14. TOPPING: When cooled, cut into 2-inch squares and remove them from the pan.
15. Sprinkle the tops with confectioner’s sugar.
16. Store the squares covered on top of the counter.
Servings Per Recipe: 36
Amount Per Serving: 1
Weight Watcher Smart Points: 6
Calories from Fat: 47% Daily Value, *Total Fat 5g 8% , Saturated Fat 4g 18%, Cholesterol 29mg 10%, Sodium 50mg 2%, Total Carbohydrates 19g 6%, Dietary Fiber 0g 0%,
Protein 1g 2%, Sugars 13g, Vitamin A 4%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 0%, Iron 2%.
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Sounds like this recipe is tried & true! Delicious!
Yes, for sure Josette! This has been a popular recipe through the years and everyone loves them! 🙂
I made these these again for the second time and they are so delicious! I followed the easy recipe, they are such a snap to make. I like that it makes a decent amount in the 9×13 pan. They also freeze well too!
I agree, Patti! They are so good, right?! A very popular recipe!
Glad you enjoyed them, Patti! 🙂
Made these yesterday and they were delicious! The directions were very easy to follow and were a big hit. Lemony and the shortbread crust was soooo good!
awesome! glad you made them!
These are my favorite. Love that they are ww friendly
I know! A very popular recipe. I also am glad the calories are not that bad! 🙂