“I think the secret to my chicken salad recipe is to grate the chicken in a food processor while it is still warm so the chicken ends up really fine and soft, no chunks allowed! Smooth is the texture of this chicken salad. I added my husband Bill’s preference for lots of celery, onions, and parsley and that’s really all there is to it! Again, here is another example of the technique being more important than the ingredients!
You can also get the same results with leftover chicken. What I do is measure 2 cups of leftover chicken. You can use both dark and light meat, it doesn’t matter. I warm the leftover chicken in the microwave for a minute and then grate it in the food processor.
Chicken salad has to be in the top five of Bill’s “favorite sandwiches” list! Years ago I tried many techniques until I got the “WOW” factor with this one! Now it’s a standard sandwich for lunch in our house! Enjoy!”
2 cups cooked chicken, cut into large chunks (about 2 small breasts)
1 cup celery with leaves, cut into large chunks (about 2 small celery stalks)
½ cup fresh parsley
½ cup onion, cut into large chunks (1 small onion)
1 cup Hellman’s mayonnaise
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
1. Grate the chicken in a food processor while it is still warm. Transfer it to a large bowl. Set aside.
2. Grate the celery, parsley, and onion together in the food processor, then add it to the grated chicken, mixing it all together with a fork.
3. Add the mayonnaise, salt and black pepper and mix thoroughly.
4. Serve immediately or chill it in the refrigerator for an hour first.
Bill’s Favorite Smooth Chicken Salad
Servings Per Recipe: 4
Amount Per Serving: 1/2 cup
Calories from Fat: 405
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 45g 69%
Saturated Fat 6g 30%
Cholesterol 33mg 11%
Sodium 596mg 25%
Total Carbohydrates 1g 0%
Dietary Fiber 0g 2%
Protein 8g 14%
Vitamin A 0%
Vitamin C 10%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.