“Have you tried Libby’s Pumpkin Roll recipe? This is what got me started making many different cake rolls. Cake Rolls are a lot of fun to make and I think people don’t realize how easy they are, which is why I am including this recipe. It is LIbby’s and it can’t be beat! I love the plain cream cheese filling against the strong pumpkin cake.
I always say having a good technique is more important than the recipe, although I do think cake rolls are easier to roll with a sponge- type cake. I have made this one for years at the holidays and the recipe is from the Libby company that makes the canned pureed pumpkin.
When making any cake roll, you have to work fast to flip it off the parchment, then roll it up quickly. It goes smoothly when you get everything ready ahead of time! I never had a cake roll stick, so carefully follow my directions and you will have success! Enjoy!”
3/4 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/3 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon cloves
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup granulated sugar
2/3 cup Libby’s 100% pure pumpkin puree
1 cup finely chopped walnuts, optional
1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
1 cup confectioners’ sugar, sifted
6 tablespoons butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup confectioners’ sugar, for the linen tea towel
1. Preheat oven to 375º.
2. Spray or grease a 15×10-inch jelly roll pan. Line it with parchment paper, then spray or grease the top of the paper. Set aside.
3. Lay a linen tea towel on the counter and with your hands spread the powdered sugar across the towel. The powdered sugar should cover an area larger than the pan. Use more confectioner’s sugar if you have to. Set aside.
4. For the FILLING, beat together the cream cheese, 1 cup sifted confectioner’s sugar, butter, and vanilla extract until soft and creamy. Set aside.
4. For the CAKE, in a large bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, and salt. Set aside.
5. In a medium bowl beat together the eggs, granulated sugar, and pumpkin puree, then combine this with the dry ingredients, mixing well.
6. Spread the cake batter evenly onto the parchment lined pan. Sprinkle the walnuts on top of the cake batter if you are using them.
7. Bake for 13-15 minutes, then immediately invert the cake onto the prepared linen towel.
8. Carefully remove the parchment paper.
9. Carefully and quickly roll the cake and the towel together, either starting at the short side or the long side, whichever you prefer.
10. Place the roll on a wire rack until completely cooled.
11. Carefully and slowly unroll the cake, removing the linen tea towel at the same time and transfer the roll to a serving dish. It is okay if you see some cracks inside the cake.
12. Gently lift the roll open and spread the filling with a rubber spatula. You will be lifting and filling the cake while it is still in a curved position. You do not want to force it open flat.
13. When you finished filling the cake, roll it up and wrap it in plastic wrap.
14. Refrigerate it for 1 hour before serving.
15. Dust the top with powdered sugar for serving.
16. Store the cake roll covered in the refrigerator.
Libby’s Pumpkin Roll
Servings Per Recipe: 12
Amount Per Serving: 1 Slice
Calories from Fat: 117
* % Daily Value *
* Total Fat 13g 20%
* Saturated Fat 5g 24%
* Cholesterol 51mg 17%
* Sodium 153mg 6%
* Total Carbohydrates 34g 11%
* Dietary Fiber 2g 6%
* Protein 2g 3%
* Sugars 26g
* Vitamin A 44%
* Vitamin C 0%
* Calcium 1%
* Iron 5%
* * Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.1