“This recipe is tailor-made for my husband Bill, done the way he likes Vodka sauce – lots of bacon, lots of Vodka, and very creamy. He is the Vodka sauce expert and he has a favorite restaurant where he always orders it. But he says my recipe is just like it! I take that as a huge compliment!
Don’t worry, you can just barely taste the Vodka in it, it is not strong. But he is right, it is a great combination of flavors.
I know you can’t find this dish in Italy anymore, but it is truly a mainstay at Italian American restaurants in the U.S . Lucky us! Enjoy!”
1/3 pound bacon
3 tablespoons butter
3 cloves garlic
1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
1 (28-ounce) can tomato purée
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon brown sugar
3/4 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup vodka
1 pound penne pasta
1/2 cup pasta water
1. In a large sauce pot, cook the bacon over medium heat until almost done.
2. Using a kitchen scissors, cut the bacon into small bits.
3. Add the butter and garlic, sauté for a few minutes to soften the garlic.
4. Stir in the tomato paste, mixing it in for a few minutes.
5. Add the tomato puree, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, and brown sugar, mixing well.
6. Add the heavy cream, stirring for a few minutes.
7. Add the Vodka and simmer for about 5-10 minutes on low heat.
8. Meanwhile, cook the pasta in boiling salted water until done.
9. Drain, but reserve ½ cup of the pasta water and stir that into the sauce.
10.Toss the pasta with the Vodka sauce.
11.Serve with grated Romano cheese.
Bill’s Penne alla Vodka
Servings Per Recipe: 6
Amount Per Serving: about 1-1/2 cups
Calories from Fat: 197
* % Daily Value *
* Total Fat 22g 34%
* Saturated Fat 11g 56%
* Cholesterol 61mg 20%
* Sodium 549mg 23%
* Total Carbohydrates 70g 23%
* Dietary Fiber 6g 23%
* Protein 16g 28%
* Sugars 17g
* Vitamin A 41%
* Vitamin C 41%
* Calcium 6%
* Iron 19%
* * Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.0