“This particular combination dish is served in restaurants where I live (Long Island, New York) though it usually comes with penne pasta and is slathered with a lot of oil.
My version is lower in calories because there is no heavy sauce and the chicken is grilled first instead of cooked in oil. The one teaspoon of seasoned oil mixed with the pasta/broccoli water flavors and coats the pasta just enough to keep it moist. It is really good and light tasting.
Mini ziti is just my personal preference because with the mini pastas it seems like you are getting more per serving! I also like pasta smooth rather than with the lines or “ridges” and can easily find brands of smooth mini zitis. Use your own favorite pasta shape and adjust the cooking time for the pasta you are using. One serving is 239 calories or 6 Weight Watcher points. Enjoy!”
1 (8-ounce) package chicken breasts, cut into small chunks
2 quarts water
3 teaspoons salt, divided
1/2 pound pasta of your choice
2 cups cut-up fresh broccoli
1/2 cup reserved pasta/broccoli water
1 tablespoon canola oil
3/4 teaspoon minced garlic
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/8 cup chopped fresh parsley
2 teaspoons grated Romano cheese
1. Spray a George Foreman Grill or a grill pan for on top of the stove. Grill the chicken chunks until seared and cooked through. Set aside.
2. In a large pan, put in the water and two and one-half teaspoons of the salt. Bring it to a rapid boil.
3. Add the pasta. Cook it for as long as it says on your package directions, or according to whether you like your pasta “al dente” or soft. However, during the last two minutes of your cooking time add the broccoli and finish cooking it together with the pasta.
4. Drain the pasta and broccoli, reserving one-half cup of the pasta/broccoli water.
5. In a large skillet, or use the same pan you cooked the pasta in, saute the oil, garlic, black pepper and parsley together for a few minutes over low heat until the garlic is golden brown.
6. Add the cooked chicken chunks, pasta, broccoli, and remaining one-half teaspoon of salt and saute this all together for a few minutes.
7. Stir in the reserved pasta/broccoli water and heat that all together for a minute.
8. Sprinkle with the grated Romano cheese before serving.
Grilled Chicken with Broccoli and MIni Ziti, Low Calorie
Servings Per Recipe: 5
Amount Per Serving: 1/5 recipe
Calories: 239 Calories from Fat: 39
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat 4g 7%
- Saturated Fat 1g 3%
- Cholesterol 10mg 3%
- Sodium 1520mg 63%
- Total Carbohydrates 35g 12%
- Dietary Fiber 5g 19%
- Protein 13g 23%
- Sugars 2g
- Vitamin A 6%
- Vitamin C 146%
- Calcium 4%
- Iron 11%
- * Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.